Responsive Classroom: NYC
520 Eighth Avenue, 15th Floor, New York, New York 10018
THIS COURSE IS Sold Out.
Dates: August 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th
Time: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
This workshop is open to General Studies teachers in New York City only due to being funded by Title IIA.
Elementary Core Course, Grades K-5
Are you a day school educator interested in the importance of how children learn, in addition to what they learn? The "Responsive Classroom" approach to teaching emphasizes academic, social and emotional growth in a strong community. Elementary and middle school teachers will work closely with colleagues, while experiencing "Responsive Classroom" strategies as adult learners.
In four interactive days, educators will:
- Examine how the Responsive Classroom proactive approach to discipline can establish a calm, safe, and engaging learning environment.
- Create a developmentally appropriate learning environment that accounts for strengths and challenges of each age group.
- Participate in energizers you can use in classroom
- Teach students how to complete academic tasks, interact with classmates, and maintain routines with Interactive Modeling.
- Give students choices in what they learn and/or how they learn to promote greater academic engagement and achievement.
- Begin and end the day positively with Morning Meeting and Closing Circles.
There will be follow-up in the Fall/Winter with coaching at the schools that participate.
All workshops have a cost unless otherwise indicated. No one will be turned down due to cost. If you have any issues making full payment or general questions, please email Sloane Gray.
A Cholov Yisroel meal will be served with each workshop.
Please note that photographs and footage will be taken throughout Responsive Classroom: NYS. These will be used by The Jewish Education Project for marketing and publicity.