Qushiyot קושיות: Israel Education Fellowship
A partnership between The Jewish Education Project and Makom
APPLY NOWQushiyot Israel Education Fellowship 2018 -2019 applications now available. Deadline to apply is Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
Qushiyot is a 12-month network experience, offering an opportunity to connect with colleagues of diverse perspectives and partake in a range of learning opportunities to spur innovation. It is a comprehensive, open approach to Israel education that embraces the vibrant complexity of Israel.
- Benefit from individual coaching and professional development for teaching Israel in part-time settings to teens or pre-teens.
- Experience an intensive 8-day workshop in Israel, based around Makom's Four Hatikvah Questions (4HQ) method.
- Develop contemporary, meaningful, and relevant Israel curriculum
- Learn how to build support from key lay and professional leadership
- Address controversial issues and your own relationship to Israel
Important Details and Dates
In 2018-2019 we will run two cohorts, one beginning in June (Gimmel) and one beginning in October (Dalet). Applications are now open for Gimmel.
If you would like to review the application questions in advance, please review this PDF.
Applications are due by midnight, Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
If you are interested in Dalet, click below to be notified when the application becomes available.
*All dates tentative until confirmed
- 1-hour individual coaching consultation up to 5 times throughout the academic year
- $500 contribution covers three NYC based workshops, coaching sessions, 8-day training in Israel (including full program, double occupancy accommodations, and meals)
- All land costs will be completely subsidized. Qushiyot provides 50% of the roundtrip flights to Israel (up to $850) pending funding.
"The 4HQ model is a deceptively simple approach that in fact creates a framework for understanding Israel in a much more sophisticated way... the invaluable opportunity to hear Israelis speak about Israel, from a multitude of perspectives... has made me personally feel more familiar with contemporary Israel."
Amy Rosenbaum, Ph.D., Community Educator
Temple Israel Center, White Plains
"I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to study under such exceptional facilitators and specialists at Makom who brought their depths of knowledge to us. Their expertise and knowledge enhanced our learning and pushed us to view Israel through its different lenses."
Sharon Solomon, Religious School Director
Temple Beth Sholom, Roslyn
qushiyot קושיות - say what?
The name originates in the four questions that we ask at Seder night, and the chavruta and study involved in answering them. It brings to mind the student who asks a question for the sake of digging in further into an issue. In modern Israel, it smacks of a challenging question that stops you in your tracks and demands a considered answer. We believe that Israel's complexity can best be addressed through a series of Qushiyot, rather than a set of simple answers.
About our partner: Makom
Makom, the education lab of the Jewish Agency, educates leaders and creates content to embrace the vibrant complexity of Israel. Makom empowers educators, rabbi, activists, arts and community leaders across the spectrum to ask tough questions, articulate compelling visions and provides the content and tools to craft honest programming.
Questions? Contact Abby Pitkowksy or 646-472-5351