Qushiyot קושיות: Israel Education Fellowship
A partnership between The Jewish Education Project and Makom
We are pleased to announce the formation of a new Qushiyot Cohort (Hey) for 2019-’20.
Applications Are Now Available
Qushiyot is a 10-month network experience, offering an opportunity to connect with colleagues of diverse perspectives and partake in a range of learning opportunities to spur innovation. It is a comprehensive, open approach to Israel education that embraces the vibrant complexity of Israel.
- Benefit from individual coaching and professional development for teaching Israel in part-time settings in grades 2-12.
- Experience an intensive 6-day workshop in Israel, based around Makom's Four Hatikvah Questions (4HQ) method.
- Develop contemporary, meaningful, and relevant Israel curriculum
- Learn how to build support from key lay and professional leadership
- Address controversial issues and your own relationship to Israel
Note: Qushiyot is open ONLY to educators from part-time Jewish educational settings such as congregations and JCCs from Long Island, Westchester and the 5 boroughs of New York City.
In 2019-2020 we will run one cohort (Hey) beginning in September 2019 and concluding in June 2020.
- 1-hour individual coaching consultation up to 5 times throughout the academic year
- $500 contribution covers three NYC based workshops, coaching sessions, webinars, 6-day training in Israel (including full program, double occupancy accommodations, and meals)
- All land costs will be completely subsidized. Qushiyot provides 50% of the roundtrip flights to Israel (up to $700) pending funding.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- September 4 - 5, 2019 - Two-day intro workshop
- November 5, 2019 - webinar
- January 14 - 19, 2020 - Israel workshop
- February 26-27, 2020 - Two-day workshop for Qushiyot fellows and broader field
- March 2020 (exact date TBD) - cultural event
- May 6, 2020 - webinar
- June 16 - 17, 2020 - Two-day workshop for Qushiyot fellows and broader field
- Note: All dates tentative until confirmed by The Jewish Education Project
- $500 participant contribution covers three NYC-based workshops, up to 5 1-hour individual coaching sessions, webinars, cultural event, and 6-day training in Israel (including full program, double-occupancy accommodations, and meals)
- Note: All land costs will be completely subsidized. Qushiyot covers 50% of round-trip flights (up to max of $700) pending funding.
"The 4HQ model is a deceptively simple approach that in fact creates a framework for understanding Israel in a much more sophisticated way... the invaluable opportunity to hear Israelis speak about Israel, from a multitude of perspectives... has made me personally feel more familiar with contemporary Israel."
Amy Rosenbaum, Ph.D., Community Educator
Temple Israel Center, White Plains
"I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to study under such exceptional facilitators and specialists at Makom who brought their depths of knowledge to us. Their expertise and knowledge enhanced our learning and pushed us to view Israel through its different lenses."
Sharon Solomon, Religious School Director
Temple Beth Sholom, Roslyn
qushiyot קושיות - say what?
The name originates in the four questions that we ask at Seder night, and the chavruta and study involved in answering them. It brings to mind the student who asks a question for the sake of digging in further into an issue. In modern Israel, it smacks of a challenging question that stops you in your tracks and demands a considered answer. We believe that Israel's complexity can best be addressed through a series of Qushiyot, rather than a set of simple answers.
About our partner: Makom
Makom, the education lab of the Jewish Agency, educates leaders and creates content to embrace the vibrant complexity of Israel. Makom empowers educators, rabbi, activists, arts and community leaders across the spectrum to ask tough questions, articulate compelling visions and provides the content and tools to craft honest programming.
Questions? Contact Abby Pitkowksy or 646-472-5351